Monday, December 8, 2008

WEC 37

God has blessed me with another win! The fight however went another route that a script would have been written for the fight. If a script would have been written it would have read that I would be taking the jui jitsu black belt down and the jui jitsu black belt would be working for sweeps on the bottom. However that was the exact opposite of what occurred. As the fight began I noticed that he was standing south paw. I went for an inside leg kick and before I knew it he had dove in for a single leg takedown. As I stuffed his shot, my back hit the cage and we were in the clinch. Fighting for position I stepped around and attempted an uchimada throw, but that attempt got countered and he ended up on top of me in side control. Now most of you must be thinking, "uh oh!" But I get in that position all the time with the best in the world at the Gracie Academy in Torrance with Ryron and Rener Gracie. I roll with them often so I know that I've prepared and am ready for whatever anyone throws at me. So back to him being in side control.... As he was in side control I got an underhook immediately and worked for a sweep. I then swept him into his guard, postured up, and past his guard to take his back. From there I threw down seeral unanswered bombs from that position. As I threw my first punch, I felt his body go limp and thought to myself, "finish him!!" And that is what happened. The ref stopped the fight in 2:26 of the first round. After the fight people were telling me that they've haven't seen anyone hit that hard from that position before.

The future is looking like I will be fighting in March or April in the UFC. There is another option that I might be fighting in the Philippines in May. Nothing has been finalized, however I will take it day by day and train my hardest until that day comes. I have already been training since the day I got back from Vegas. There are still a lot of improvement that needs to be done and I'm up to the task at hand.

Thank you to all those who support and pray for me... for this is an adventure that I will need strength and grace from God. All I know is that I can't worry about the things I can't control, I can only concentrate on the things that I can control and that is how hard I will work on my weaknesses and make them my strengths until the next fight. I am very determined to work as hard as I can to achieve greatness!!

4 comments:

Patrick said...

Wish I could have seen the fight bro. In any event congrats and also thank you so much for getting that great gift for Amelie! We love it! Expect a photo coming soon. Do thank Kristi (I'm assuming she picked the colors?!)

Say hello to the kids and see ya when I see ya.

Anonymous said...

oh man that sound's like a great ending to that fight ! haha congrats on the win and I can't wait to see you in the UFC...trust me if you have a choice, fight in the Philippines...we'll never forget it haha till then take care and train hard man.

JaReD said...

Congrats on the fight Marc...is there any video up yet?

dizonfamily said...

Hey Mark, I've seen one of your fights and could not help but notice the Pinoy flag shorts :) that was cool.

I noticed you live in Mission Viejo. I live in Aliso and train in Mission Viejo with Allan Goes. The MMA trainer there is pinoy also.

Come by and say hi. So we could meet you.